Some Thoughts on Basic Kitchen Layouts for Kitchen Remodeling
Choosing the right kitchen layout can be hard. The temptation is to keep the status quo when kitchen remodeling to keep costs low. Alternatively, some homeowners want to go the opposite way and completely change the layout. In either case, it can be a hard decision. The kitchen layout will have a great impact on the way you work, so you have to know what you are getting into before starting on a kitchen design. Here are some thoughts on basic kitchen layouts, and which one you should consider for your new kitchen.
As you can probably imagine, everything is lined up on one wall in this kitchen layout. This means all the appliances, workspaces, sink, and cabinets. A basic one-wall layout works just as well in a small kitchen as it does for a very large one, so size isn’t going to help you decide. Below are the pros and cons of this layout.
• Foot traffic and workflow are unconstrained
• Maximizes openness as there are no barriers
• Easy to design and construct
• All utilities are along one wall, so putting in the plumbing, electrical wiring, and gas piping is fairly simple and quick, thus more cost-effective
• Works well in an open space layout
• Limited counter and work spaces
• Inefficient because it does not use the kitchen triangle
• No place to put a seating area without compromising the amount of workspace
• Precludes the inclusion of a kitchen island
The galley or corridor style of kitchen gets its inspiration from the galley kitchen in ships, which tend to be narrow and confined. It is a good (and sometimes the only possible) layout for homes with limited spaces such as condos and apartments. In a galley kitchen layout, two facing walls hold all the kitchen appliances and elements such as sink, countertops, and cabinets. A galley kitchen can be open on either end, or just one. The other end may be walled off, or lead to a door.
• Has a high proportion of work and storage spaces with two facing walls
• Work efficient because it uses the kitchen triangle
• Everything is within easy reach
• Narrow confines make it hard to have more than one person in the kitchen at any one time
• If the kitchen serves as a through way from one room to another, it can be hard for people to go through it
• A closed-off end may be too narrow and inaccessible to be of much use
• A seating area is probably not possible
• An open oven or dishwasher can make movement difficult
One of the most popular of the basic kitchen layouts is the L shape. This design has two walls adjacent to each other to form the letter L (hence the name). These two walls usually form the corner of the home, and hold everything you need in the kitchen. In most cases, it is open ended, although older kitchens may have two adjacent walls opposite the kitchen walls, forming a box. An L-shaped kitchen is the base for most kitchen remodeling packages for a 10×10 foot kitchen.
• This is the best layout to use the classic kitchen triangle
• It has more space for countertops than one-wall or galley kitchen layouts have
• You can include a kitchen island, thus adding even more workspace and storage spaces
• You can easily plan for seating or even a table in the kitchen area
• Depending on the size of the kitchen, the refrigerator may be some distance from the cooking area
• Corners are usually a problem when it comes to storage and access (although custom corner cabinets with pullouts can address that quite easily)
A double L kitchen is primarily a replication of the L-shaped kitchen, usually involving a full kitchen island that includes a sink and/or cooktop. In some designs, it can involve a combination of one-wall kitchen layout and full kitchen island.
• There is quite a bit more countertop spaces in this design as full islands tend to be much wider than wall counters, which are usually just 24.5 inches in depth
• Depending on the size of the kitchen, two or more people can work comfortably together, especially if there are two sinks
• Takes up a lot of real estate because of the island, although an open floor layout can largely discount that if the island can be used as the eating area as well
• Expensive to set up as the kitchen island requires additional plumbing and other utilities
The U-shaped layout I a lot like the galley style kitchen, except that the facing walls are much wider apart and one end is closed off to accommodate some kitchen services and/or countertops. The opposite end provides access to the kitchen.
• It is work efficient as it can use the kitchen triangle
• Additional work and storage space by way of the closed end
• Unless it is exceptionally large, it will be hard to put in a kitchen island and still maintain at least 48 inches aisle space
• Seating is not easily accommodated in this layout
Hire a professional kitchen remodeler to help you choose
Any of these kitchen layouts may be the ideal one for your kitchen remodeling. It will depend highly on your space constraints and the way you work. To make sure you choose the right one, consult with a professional remodeling company. Fairfax Kitchen Bath services the DC, MD and Northern Virginia metropolitan areas. We are a Class A, licensed and insured contractor, registered in the Commonwealth of Virginia. We provide free professional design services as well as comprehensive cost estimates to keep help you decide on the best layout for your new kitchen.
When you contract with us, you can be sure you will get a quick turnaround on all your needs. We specialize in fabricating kitchen countertops to specifications and installing them within budget and on time.
We sell only top-quality products for all your kitchen remodeling needs manufactured by leading brands in the industry such as Schrock Caabinetry, Silestone, Blanco, Kohler, and Mosaic Décor. You will also receive it much faster than ordering what you need from big box stores.
We have a showroom in Fairfax, Virginia, which houses all our products, including actual granite, marble and engineered stone slabs from which you can choose. Go with Fairfax Kitchen Bath from the get go. You can ask us about kitchen remodeling packages to get the best deals. We guarantee you will love it for life!
Contact us today to get a free quote for a budget-friendly kitchen remodeling project.