Remodelling Your Kitchen the Perfect Way!
A kitchen design is not just a room for preparing food. It is the heart of the home, the hub where meals are created and shared by family and friends.
Considered a secluded space in the past, the kitchen has now earned its place as a living space and not contained for meal preparation only. For many, it is the most important room in the house, inspiring feelings of joy while preparing memorable family or holiday meals together.
For the Realtor, it is the room that is depended heavily on to deliver a good resale value of your home. So, don’t approach your project with a champagne taste and a beer budget!
Whether you are altering or totally remodeling your kitchen for trend or resale, consider these helpful tips as you embark on this major project:
Your kitchen should be reflective of your lifestyle. Think about how you use your kitchen and want on a daily basis:
- How many chefs usually use the kitchen
- What’s your cooking style
- Who else hangs out in the kitchen and what do they do there
- How important is easy cleaning
- If you could splurge on one luxury what would it be
Setting Realistic Budget
Setting a budget and sticking to it is more challenging that you think:
- Decide how much you want to spend and stick to it
- Know how the cost will breakdown
- Set aside 20% of your budget to handle the unexpected
- Make a list of your renovation/remodeling priorities
- Know the details of how you plan to pay for this project
- Decide whether you are planning to stay in your home while the project is in progress
- Factor in the cost of eating out
- Take a business like approach – create a spreadsheet for your budget and check it often
- Do some of the small jobs to lower the cost
- Avoid extras – don’t deviate from your budget
Kitchen Designs and Layout
Regardless of the kitchen design style, organization and layout are important:
- Don’t’ obstruct access to the kitchen triangle (sink, stove and refrigerator are the kitchen triangle) – the area of greatest traffic of activities
- Think carefully of storage space – you don’t want to waste
- Counter workspace is very important so plan carefully
- Proper lighting
- Backsplash should not be ignored
- Proper ventilation
- If you are considering an island, ensure it is the right size and carefully plan the layout of it
- Consider your neighbourhood and value of homes, don’t’ over improve
Choosing Materials and Appliances
Choosing quality materials and appliances are major decisions to accomplish your perfect kitchen:
- Consider your counter-tops (heights and material)-it is the best place to start and can be the basis for the rest of your kitchen material palette
- Cabinets – this is the first thing you notice when you walk into the kitchen-it is at the top of the cost but also add returns to your investment. The style of your cabinet needs to work with the rest of your home.
- Your stove is the designer handbag of your kitchen – it is the most visible and most used appliance in the kitchen
- Choosing your floor – wood or tiles? Go for durability and style. Decide on the stain making sure it matches your other cosmetics needs for the kitchen
- Don’t get caught up in buying a package of appliances, choose ones that best suite your needs
- Lighting fixtures and hardware can bring the look of your kitchen together
Hiring and Managing Professionals
Hiring a contractor to complete your renovations is as important than all the other planning and choices you had to make so far. You are trusting your contractor with a big investment so ask as many questions as you want.
- Research well before hiring a contractor
- Talk to friends and family, obtain about contractors they may have uses
- Get references -a reputable contractor will provide a reference if asked
- Shop around before you make your decision
- Obtain multiple quotes
- Check for insurance coverage
- Take time to understand the breakdown of your quote for your project
- Never pay the full amount until the project is finished according to your satisfaction
Some reminders and advice to remember:
The success of your kitchen renovation or remodeling is dependent on: proper planning that makes allowance for hiccups but the timeline set should take that into consideration.
Staying within budget by being strict with your contractor and yourself. Understand exactly where your money is spent will help you achieve success with your project.
Finally, quality is of utmost important so make sure what you can see and cannot see, are up to code and inspection is completed properly.