Table of Contents
Embarking on a basement remodeling project is an exciting moment to turn part of your home into a more enjoyable space. If you can find the right tips for remodeling a basement in Alexandria, VA, you can stay on budget and be satisfied with your project.
With the cost of basement remodeling, it’s always ideal to save some money. As a matter of fact, you can create an amazing space for the right amount of cash. Basements are too often wasted space, but you can make your basement a special place to enjoy for many years.
In this blog post, the top basement remodeling services in Alexandria, VA to share their top secrets for a budget-friendly basement. With these remodeling basement tips, you will be able to control your own destiny and get the basement of your dreams.
Make A List Of Your Basement Remodeling Priorities
If you are able to line all of your priorities up, you can spend money on the things you care most about, then save money on things that you might notice less. This is a tremendous strategy for basement remodeling that too many people overlook during their planning stage.
You should think about another basement that you have enjoyed and how you could make yours similar. Some questions you could ask yourself about basements remodeling to help clarify your vision are:
- Do you want to try to add extra windows in your basement? Is that an achievable goal?
- Do you need a bathroom in your basement?
- What sort of electrical needs will you have in your basement?
- Do you like an exposed ductwork ceiling? Or is a finished ceiling more your style?
- Do you want to entertain in your basement?
- Would having a kitchen be useful in your basement?
- What kind of soundproofing do you need in your basement?
- Would you like to add some countertop? Do you have any granite countertop ideas you want to use?
You should write down all of your answers to these questions so you can go over your needs with your kitchen and bath remodeling contractor and design team in Alexandria, Va. They will help you see which of your goals are realistic, and which ones you might have to compromise on.
Give Yourself Time To Shop For Materials
The more time you can spend shopping for materials, the more chances you will have to buy things on sale. Items come on sale periodically, and if you are patient you will find the things you need at a much better price than if you are in a hurry.
The caveat to this strategy is that with inflation, some building materials are rapidly going up in price because some large buyers are buying all they can in anticipation of rising prices. If you wait too long on things like lumber or drywall, the prices could very well rise instead of going down.
But for items like furniture and appliances, you can almost always find better deals if you wait and are patient. You might not be able to be completely picky about what you buy, but you can certainly find suitable items to fit your budget for basement remodeling.
Consider Shopping For Used Items
You can find some amazing items by looking around for second-hand, or even leftover building supplies. There are many ways you can find such things, and all it takes is a little perseverance to find all of the things that you need for basement remodeling. If you don’t have the money to pay for new kitchen cabinet costs, then you can always look for used ones.
You can search online forums for used items sold by people in your area. Sometimes builders buy too much material for a job, then hope to get rid of brand new stuff at the end of the job for a great deal. You could get very lucky and find just what you need.
There are also used building supply warehouses to try. These institutions, such as Habitat For Humanity’s Restore, get donations of used building items and then sell them to the public. The money all goes to charity and you can get some amazing deals.
Focus On Your Basement Remodeling Lighting
Lighting is often a critical part of any remodel. As a matter of fact, it is one of the best basement remodeling ideas you can easily achieve. It gives you the feeling of a comfortable, habitable space. Luckily, lighting is not the most expensive part of basement remodeling and you can focus a higher portion of your budget on it to get some exceptional results.
You may want to work with an expert lighting designer who can ensure that your basement is well-lit, no matter which part of it you are in. A lighting professional will know all of the tips and tricks that can make your basement feel bright and comfortable.
You can work on the three main types of lighting in your basement to make it feel more like a regular part of the house. The three types of lighting you should focus on are:
- Ambient lighting- this type is the main light source, usually in the form of overhead lights. Can lights are great in basements because they don’t intrude into the space.
- Task lighting- this type helps you when you are in a specific zone of your basement doing a specific action. This could be lighting for your hobby table where you like to create crafts.
- Accent lighting- many people overlook accent lighting, which highlights a specific feature in the room. You can use accent lighting to make your basement feel more open or roomier.
Try To Get Some Extra Daylight Into Your Basement
You probably already know this, but basements can be uncomfortable because of their lack of daylight. This can make it harder to get dry and it just feels weird to be in such a dark, cave-like space for long periods of time.
There are many ways to get some extra daylight into your basement, and it’s a smart choice to put some extra part of your budget into making it happen. Some ways to have more daylight in the basement are:
- Digging windows into the foundation of your home. This could be a big job, but it might be required by some building codes to create emergency exits anyway.
- Solar tubes can bring daylight, even though the first floor of your home. Many people don’t realize that solar tubes are a powerful tool for bringing the daylight into basements.
- If your basement has a garage on it, you could put windows into the garage door, or even install french doors with glass panels.
Visit us on Houzz to get to know more about us! Should you require free design consultation, you can request one today! You can also call us at 703-936-6898 to get a quicker response from our team.