How to Go Green with Charlotte Bathroom Remodeling
Remodeling your bathroom might just be the best time to incorporate environment-friendly, energy-efficient features in it. Converting your home, room by room, into an environmentally friendly place can not only save you lots of money in utility bills, it can also get you considerable tax rebates, which the government is providing to encourage more people to “go green”. Taking care of the environment is essential not only for us, but for future generations as well. Saving the earth while helping ourselves has to be the smartest thing to do, so why not start with your bathroom? A Charlotte bathroom remodeling project can give you a whole new environmentally friendly bathroom in the most cost-effective and creative ways! Here’s how!
- Use environmentally friendly materials such as woods that are certified to be from sustainable forests or woods like bamboo and cork. They are durable, look different and beautiful, and are very versatile as well.
- Buy low-flush toilets or dual flush toilets to save on the amount of water that goes down the drain unnecessarily every time you flush. With a dual-flush toilet, you can choose the amount that you need based on your requirements. Shop for showerheads and faucets too that use less water or lets you control how much water you use.
- Energy efficient lighting can go a long way to reducing your electricity bills. It can also save you money in the long run as most of the lighting that is energy efficient also last longer. You can also buy lighting with dimmers, so you can control how much light you have. LED lights have less heat emanating from them, last more than 10 years, and consume only very less watts (anywhere from 2 watts to 15 watts).
- If possible, install skylights in your bathroom, so you get as much of natural light as possible, eliminating the need for artificial lighting, at least during the day.
- When laying down new installation, go for the environmentally friendly materials such as cotton, soybean, or other natural derivatives that are not only healthy but also safe and durable.
- You can also save energy on your water heater, which in turn will reduce your electricity bills by half. You can do this by simply turning down your water heater temperature settings to 120 degrees instead of the pre-set 140 degrees. By insulating hot water pipes you further reduce your energy footprint. If you have a tank-type water heater, add an insulating blanket, which can further save energy. If you are buying a new heater, go for the condensing heater which gives you tax credit and fuel savings.
- Install a heat exchange ventilator that warms cold air that comes in by using the warm air that goes out. This keeps the air coming in warm while not wasting the air that goes out, further bringing down your heating bills.
Use these tips for your Charlotte bathroom remodeling project and see your bills get lower while the earth gets greener!